Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Scene Starter #8

Not that many of my warm-state native friends can relate, but I love winter because of jackets. I like the way they look, I like the act of putting on another layer, and I always remember the one time I pulled out my snow coat and found a twenty dollar bill in it- a gift from my previously more affluent self. That crumpled up Andrew Jackson face made my week and inspired this scene starter: 

A piece of paper folded into a jacket pocket is forgotten until the jacket is passed on. What does it say? 

There are a few things to think about here. First of all, whose jacket was it originally? How did it come to the new owner- a Goodwill purchase, a bequeathing, a hand-me-down, a loaner? What is the actual message? How does your character take its meaning? And where will it take your story? 

BRB, stuffing some petty cash into a jacket pocket for December Cate to find. 

All prompts on this blog are free for personal and instructional use, but may not be republished without the permission of the author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment